Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Embracing My Cultural Heritage

I have tried to post this blog FOUR times and for some reason my Mac laptop keeps shutting down my internet browser when I try to type at this address. I am trying from a PC to see if blogspot is any happier....scheeeeech!

I want to mention to my dear friend who commented that she was unaware of "My Name is Earl" currently showing on Thursday nights on NBC. It is so funny. I know Earl. I think he was in my graduating class. Gene has taught his brother Randy ("Coach, how can I get into them eeeeassssssyyyyy classes."). This friend, who has taught those "easy" classes in several states has probably had both an Earl and Randy in her classes. This is a funny TV show.

I am very comfortable in acknowledging my low cultural heritage. I have relatives who might be considered "white trash" by some but who actually were just from the deep woods of east Texas. No one had any real money. We all lived frugally. My mother made most of my clothes as did many of my relatives. We had one set of relatives who grew all their own food and had what we called a "path" out behind their plumbingless house. I loved using the path but then I never had to live in that house during the winter months. Our family lives were simple and easy going. We ate mayonaise sandwiches or butter and sugar sandwiches. Sometimes we used waxed paper for plates so we wouldn't have to wash dishes. We ate chicken fried steak and fried okra at the same meal with both biscuits and cornbread. We rode in the back of pickups. We played outside in the red dirt. It was a good life. Earl takes me back to those times.

4 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

I'm proud that I am from Arkansas. Of course people from every where else think that we are all just like Earl and that bothers me a little, but I love our southern ways.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Rushton said...

My mother taught me that being a belle had nothing to do with having money. We walked the path at cousins' homes until I was in high school and traded "store bought" and homemade clothes until we married.
I've not seen Earl yet, tho, I did have step brothers in class with the same appellation, including the junior, who were Earls. One is the young man who waved to me from the side of the road one day wearing an orange shirt and black and white striped pants. The man with the rifle didn't seem to appreciate his friendly gesture. I later saw his picture on the door of my husband's place of employment with the letters "BOLO" over his picture. Hmmm.

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be taking a break from my MFT Board (which I have to take in the morning at 8:00 - that's Friday) tonight to watch Earl...got to have a little fun and laughter in life!

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to say Board Studying...see my brain is scrambled...maybe i should just stop now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home