Wednesday, September 05, 2007

One Year Ago



One year ago today I drove up this driveway to spend four fabulous months living in this villa. I have been so blessed in my life. When I was 17, I dreamed of visiting Europe and was terribly disappointed when I was unable to go on a summer campaign with a friend at church. I could not imagine that many, many years later I would get to travel all over Europe and live in places for three and four months at a time.

Also, one year ago today, Robbie and Tracy were trying to make me fill out a visa form so that I could legally stay in Italy for four months. I had only had a couple of hours of sleep and that form (all printed in Italian) made no sense to me. My brain was so foggy from lack of sleep that I had to re-do the entire form the next day!

But for now, I will gaze at the photo of our group of students and staff from last fall that is hanging on the wall of my office and remember that it was a magical time. [By the way, my group photo is mounted on some beautiful craft paper that Keri Tullos gave me. It has Florintine Gigli all over it.]

6 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

I am so glad that you did go to spend time in this villa because it gave me the opportunity to visit you there once and to meet you in Rome for Thanksgiving another time...I never dreamed when I was a little girl growning up on a cotton farm in the Mississippi Delta that I would one day see so much of the world...getting the opportunity to ever leave the USA never even crossed my mind! God is so Good! He's blessed me with wonderful friends and famiy and material blessings to enjoy traveling and making many wonderful memories all over the world with them!

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll be there this weekend! Chris and I leave tomorrow for a two-week trip. It's been almost five years since I left Florence and I'm so homesick for it that I can hardly stand it. I can't wait to show him all of my favorite places. I've been having nightmares that I can't find a bar that has sfoglias...apparently I'm really worried about it, since I've had basically the same dream 8-10 times. Hopefully I'll find them easily! ;-) We are definitely blessed...those of us who are lucky enough to have been able to travel so much. Love ya!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger BW said...

In Scandicci, Bar Acquilla has the BEST sfolia. It is by the church behind Superal. I know you can find it and I KNOW you and Chris will have a wonderful time!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Rushton said...

Do you have comment notification? You are a true gem. A jewel amongst rocks. Thanks for finding a place for the sisters!
BTW, looks like we are waiting until Saturday AM (as it stands this minute)to leave. :)

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger chelsea said...

Beckie! I found you through JCliff's blog and thought you might like to know I'm now documenting my au pair adventures in a new blog.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger DCT said...

Don't forget to give me a list of "must do" items in Italy. Things like "the best ??? up the hill from the bus stop", the place where I will find the painted plate of the villa, and all the other things that Keri, Ian and I must do while we are in Florence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home