Saturday, June 06, 2009

The Class Room


Well, as I talked about in the last entry, I am teaching an introductory class in speech-language pathology here at George Benson Christian College. All of the students are first year students and they were required to enroll in the class. I was a little nervous since they had very little idea of what the profession is about.

I told them the story of how the entire HIZ-Path program developed last year and then told them that they were the first speech pathology students ever in Zambia. They cheered and applauded! I was so surprised. Then I told them that if they were in the US, we would have to make a t-shirt for the event. They all thought that was a great idea! I wish there were a way to make that happen but there are not too many t-shirt printing companies around here.

Here is the classroom.


They were concerned about being able to understand my speech and requested that I use PowerPoint, so I put my sketchy notes into PowerPoint. They copy down every single word from the slides. They also all listen so very intently! They also call me “Madam” when they address me AND if they are late to class, they stop at the door and wait quietly until I nod at them and tell them they can enter! So, very different from HU students coming in late and banging the door of the classroom.

Yesterday, after class three students waited for me and said, “Madam, we would like to invite you to our game. The English and History majors have challenged the Mathematics majors to a football game and we would like for you to attend.”
They are so nice and so polite. The game was fun and the student players seemed to be showing off some for our students.

I administered the first test yesterday, Friday, so we will see what happens!

Here are the students diligently copying from the PowerPoints.


The student blog is up and running at www.hiz-path.blogspot.com They are doing a fabulous job and actually tell what is happening each day. I spend so much of my day driving them around and preparing for my class that I don't get much time to play with the babies.

2 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Rushton said...

SOOOO different! Your classroom is much more modern than I expected also. Looks lots like my 2nd floor history class in high school, mismatched chairs and all!
Madam, you are a treasure!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

Did I read somewhere that you have 80 students? Better make all those tests multiple choice or it will take you for ever to grade them! I know they love having you for a teacher! Keep up the good work and AMEN to Rushton's last statement!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home