Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I Know Why I Am NOT Preschool Teacher

I am happy to be helping with VBS this week. I love hearing those excited kids singing "Father Abraham" and "If You're Happy and You Know It." It brings back memories of hot June mornings in the late 1950s...playing Red Rover...a big metal box filled with crushed ice and bottled soft drinks...Grapette, Chocolate Soldiers, Coke, Dr. Pepper and Orange drinks. The cool dark basement of our church building and those terrific Plaster of Paris praying hands (mine were painted solid silver) and that scale model of the Tabernacle. Those are great happy memories.

I feel confident that I am helping create memories for fourteen four year olds this week, but I could never teach preschool. I think preschool teachers should get hazardous duty pay. Tonight we had two crying kids, one who felt she needed to hop up and down every step, a boy is routinely overcome with an unstoppable urge to shout, one who whines with every step or activity and yet loves each step and activity, a precious girl with curly red hair, and several sweet shy kids. All fourteen have enough energy to power my house for a month! I am exhausted and there are five of us trying to corrall these kids. Only one more night...I really wanted to be a cookie lady who passes out the cookies, but I think only the first to sign up get this job and the mem who are not brave enough to take on a group of four year olds.

1 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

I'm with you! I can handle them once they get to school, but Grace's age kids are just SOOOOO full of energy, you could power a city with them!! I'm so glad that you got to give so many kids such sweet VBS memories! See you soon! Jenn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home