Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Marketing Inaccuracy

I have returned from DC. The weather was an issue for my flights home along with mechanical problems in Memphis. The mechanical problems meant that I made my Memphis connection that the weather made doubtul, but I arrived home an hour later than originally scheduled. I am so glad that none of my family and friends had been called upon to pick me up that the airport and had to wait around for that extra hour. I love parking within the parking deck and strolling over to my car completley out of the rain.
I had a long wait at DC Reagan National because they took all six of us from the meeting who were flying out of that airport at the same time to save from renting a second car at a later time to accommodate my later flight schedule. (does that sentence make sense? ). So, I could have a. rented a taxi and gone back into town to run through a museum and rush back to the airport; b. gone to a restrauant in the airport and ordered my favorite crabcakes for a nice relaxing lunch. I chose b.
Now, I am flying on NWA which is located in an annex terminal about a 1/3 mile walk from the nice shops and restrauants in the main DC National terminal. The walkway is entirely inside and air conditioned (which makes a big difference in the DC humidity). The walk takes one past the original section of the airport that was constructed in 1940. It is a lovely place that is now used only for seating but most travelers don't see it if they don't explore the airport. It has a huge wall of windows looking out onto the loading areas and it used to have an outside observation area that is now closed off. The wall decorations are all great photos of the buidling of the airport or really cool 1940's original graphics. There is also an exhibit area that I chose not to visit because I had a new book that I wanted to read. Between reading during my lunch at Legal SeaFood (really, that is the name), sitting and reading in that very quiet origianal airport section and the time on the plane to Memphis (including the detours around thunderstorms and the holding pattern over Holly Springs, MS and sitting on the tarmac while it was lightening at the Memphis airport and the ramps had all been closed down) I finished the book I purchased before lunch. So, I had to buy the new Harry Potter in Memphis because I had nothing left to read on the long 45 minute flight from Memphis to Searcy.
Now, about that marketing inaccuracy....on the way to DC I ate a quick lunch at the Burger King in the LR airport. I noticed a sign on my BK bag that seemed to be announcing some new food category. Actually, it was merely naming, discussing a category of french fries. It seems that the BK corporation has decided to name the french fries that fall out of the paper french fry holder and land in the bottom of the sack. They are now called Bagglers. Ok, that is kinda clever and catchy. If the announcement had stopped there things would be just fine. BUT they (BK corporation) when on to say that the ownership of the Bagglers resides with the person emptying the contents of said bag......well, DUH! We all know that the ownership of any fries outside the official fry container is assigned to the first hand into the bag! At least everyone in our household knows that and has practiced it for the past 27 years. Burger King Corporation, please listen to me....that is incorrect. I would love responses to this. Do you not feel that the first hand into the burger/french fry bag gets to pick up any bagglers or do you feel that the last hand into the bag gets them as the marketing tactics by BK suggest?

3 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i refuse to accept the term "bagglers". it is not a real word and they made it up purely for advertising purposes only. i refuse to have any part of it.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger BW said...

dear reagan,

BIGGIE, BIGGIE, BIGGIE

love,
Mom

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I have some BIGGIE fries and a BIGGIE drink with that? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home