Tuesday, August 02, 2005

I am Favoring Caning at the Moment

Do you remember several years ago when the entire US media was comsumed with the caning penalty the Singapore judical system handed down to US teenager? If my memory is correct the caning was the typical punishment for vandalism and the young man in question had participated in spray-painting cars in Singapore. At the time I thought that caning might be a little extreme but that some form of punishment should happen and certainly the young man should be be required to pay for the damage. I now have first hand experience as the victim of vandalism. Last night someone or some group decided to go through our neighborhood and spray paint cars.

I have not blogged about my car. I love my car. Last June we were looking for a car smaller than my gas guzzling Surburban for me to drive around town. While crusing used car lots my husband spotted a beautiful, incredibly classy silver-blue 2002 Sebring convertible (navy top). It worked out that it was in great condition, fairly low mileage and a pricetag that we could live with. It was immediately christened Sophia, the therapy car. The name Sophia came at my daughter's suggestion because it is a car that looks like Sophia Loren should be driving it and the therapy car from my friend Bonnie who said that riding and driving the car was better than any psychotherapy and lots cheaper. So I have been using my car as therapy for me, my family, my friends and pretty much anyone who wants a ride with the top down. I love my car.

Just last night three friends and I went for a lovely evening therapy ride. Cool evening air, fun friends, and some great music on the CD.

Last night (early this morning) my husband (local police officer who was actually on duty so that the police car was not parked next to mine as it usually is) was taking reports from several in the neighborhood that their cars had been sprayed with black paint. He drove by our house to check my car and sure enough, it had been hit also. The only redeeming factor is that they seemed to be running out of paint so my car didn't get any stupid smiley faces or sayings. I got blobs of paint all over the back of car and down half of one side.

I have revised my feelings about penalties for vandalism. I say bring on the caning!

7 Comments:

At 4:41 PM, Blogger Rushton said...

Can we strip them to their underwear and do it on the public square? I can't believe it!! And...that type of sociopath probably would have just hit the patrol car, too! ARRRGGGGHHH!!! I feel your pain. Sophia is truly therapy. Even in the rain.

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got connections...let me know when you want the bamboo.

-S

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger BW said...

-S,
I expect to see bamboo sticking out of your suitcase in November.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i knew he would come in handy for everyone!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Kelsey said...

Ouch, that sucks.
Poor Sophia.
I would be very (VERY) angry with whomever did this. (Of course... my car is black, so it wouldn't look half as bad...)
If only spray paint didn't get you high, then, you could coat the perps. in it... thoroughly.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Oh, that just makes me so sick. People are soo not nice! Why can't people respect others? Do we need to start a "Help Sophia" fund to get her back? I just love that car and the great feelings that she gives everyone!

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger :: reiynscape :: said...

you would think the kids would have more fun sniffing the paint than actually painting with it...

-r.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home