Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Where Was This When I Desperately Needed It

While researching some APA citation style stuff on the internet I discovered the most amazing computer program. For a mere $39.00 you can purchase a program that works with MS Word and automatically formats your paper, your citations, and your references. Did you grasp the full impact of that last sentence, the program AUTOMATICALLY formats your most tedious and time consuming tasks of writing a research paper, a thesis, or a dissertation. I almost broke out in to tears during the online demonstration as I watched a dialog box appear and an imaginary student type in the author, title, name of the journal or book or presentation, year, volume, and page numbers into little boxes on the dialog box and press the enter button. Then the most amazing thing happened...the program puts the citation in the correct form in the text of the paper AND lists it in the references list in its appropriate alphabetical position with all the spaces and periods in the right places. You can even drag and drop references from previous papers into a current paper. Best of all it is set up to work in APA, MLA or Turabian style. To anyone who has ever struggled with the quirks of APA this is a thing of beauty, a masterpiece of computer programing.

Every single grad student should immediately write a letter to Santa Claus begging that this be in the stocking hanging by the fireplace. In fact, I think I will go hang my stocking up right now!!

4 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger :: reiynscape :: said...

Wow! I needed that when I was in college!

I think it would be a good gift idea for 2 younger bro and sis who are in college! Thanks for the tip!

Sounds almost better than chocolate!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Jan said...

ditto reynscape - i hated all that AP stuff and the profs ALWAYS docked points!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i told some grad school friends about it and we promise to use it.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger BW said...

reiynscape-
For a student it IS better than chocolate and I used lots of chocolate to get me through grad school!
bw

 

Post a Comment

<< Home