Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Now I Remember!!

I remember what I wanted to talk about! I am not upset, yet, but I am a little frightened of my husband's new purchase. He bought a talking scale on ebay.

First of all let me tell you that he loves ebay. He is addicted to ebay. He scans ebay for about an hour every day. The vast majority of the stuff he buys is good and useful. He bought this talking scale to be useful...but i"m not sure if it is.

I am a very very private person about personal details. I am a very extroverted person but I typically do not share my personal health issues. Sharing my weight takes me so far outside of my comfort zone that I need a passport to return to my safe place. It started with school nurses who yelled the weight of third graders from the scales at one end of the hall to the teacher recording the height and weight at the other end of the hall about 100 feet and 10 classrooms away, but that is fodder for an entirely different post about my childhood baggage and neuroses.

Last week I ventured outside my comfort zone to join with others in my department in a weight loss contest. Several spouses, including mine, are also in our own version of the "Biggest Loser." I am the official recorder for our group because I won't reveal my numbers to just anyone.

My husband is a larger than average man so he needed some industrial strength scales for an accurate reading. He found some on ebay and they arrived at our house on Monday. The scales talk to you. At this point it is very polite conversation. She says, "hello" when you turn them on and after about 15-20 seconds, she says, "I"m ready." I use the pronoun 'she' because it is a female synthetic voice. When you step on the scales the number zero flashes for another 10 seconds or so and then the voice yells your weight. I think that the volume goes up about 20 decibels when the actual weight is announced. I was embarrased and I was the only person in the room.

So, we have a talking scale and thus far things are not awful because we have both been losing weight. Although the voice is loud is not scarcastic or condescending when announcing the weight. But what is going to happen if I add a pound or two...will the voice become scolding, will it attempt to demean me, will it add to my current case of universal guilt and try to make me feel I am a bad person for gaining weight. I am not quite sure how to cope with a talking scale if it develops an attitude. Any suggestions?

2 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

When I started this new workout program at church, we bought our first scale...we have had it now for a month I think. We have been married for 7 years and have never had one. I decided that I really don't like having a scale. I consider myself pretty healthy, but have found that I go to that stupid scale way too much, and that I have been measuring my day by that scale. I decided to hide the scale and not measure my day by what the scale says, but how I feel and by what I have accomplished. Scales are just plain mean, even if they are right. It would be fun to play, "the biggest looser" with friends though. You will have to keep us posted and make my Dad join you! he he he...

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger BW said...

He and your mother are both on the team. The birthday party was hard on them, teamwise!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home