Monday, May 15, 2006

Here It Is

Well, one of the big changes in the air has actually blossomed and I think has a nice aroma. The university president announced to the Board of Trustees that I will be leading the charge toward a master's program in speech-language pathology. I have given my intersession class over to a colleague (his scheduled class did not have anyone enroll so this way he gets some summer pay) and I will be working the equivalent of one class for both Summer I and II. It is nice to have it official. Now the hard part starts....tons of paperwork to qualify for candidacy that leads to an accredited program.
On a very different note, some of my close friends and family know that I have only been to one family reunion in my life (well, you might can count that time we went to a cousin's house for Thanksgiving about seven years ago but they did not invite all the family). My father was an only child of older parents, and most of my mother's family all lived within 10 miles of each other so they saw/still see each other all the time. Consequently, I have not been a part of many "family reunions" that were not associated with a funeral or wedding.
Well, my husband's three sisters decided that all six children needed to get together and surprise their 82 year old mother for Mother's Day. It was very nice. All six children, a couple of spouses , and five of the nine grandchildren and two great-grandchildren were all present. It was very pleasant. Everybody cooperated and smiled. And the mounds of food. In the best Tennessee family traditions, the table groaned under the weight of the food the three sisters had prepared for lunch, then we all went to have BarBQue for an early supper...I may not eat for two weeks.
The visit was nice and the honoree was delighted to be the center of attention.

1 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful on both accounts! Congratulations (I think) on the Masters Program, you will do a great job, but I don't envy you the mounds of paperwork and looking for new faculty...it won't interfer with your traveling, will it?

And on the family reunion, I ususally dread them, but then they turn out to be fun and I am so glad for Mrs. Weaver's sake that everyone got along and had a good time and that all her children came together BEFORE her funeral so she could enjoy being with them all! That was a wonderful Mother's Day for her and you all should be proud that you were a part of it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home