Sunday, August 27, 2006

50 Years Ago

My aunt and uncle had their 50th anniversary celebration yesterday in Texas. We made a whirlwind trip there to be on hand for the party. It was so special. My aunt is more like my older sister since she lived in the room with me for the first five years of my life! She was and still is the coolest, most fun aunt ever. She married a really cool and fun man. He was my first love and I never understood why my aunt would take him out on a date instead of him playing with me. Then came the traumatic realization that I was not going to get to go on their honeymoon! I believe that I cried many tears as their wedding reception ended and they left me.

I was their flower girl and at the age of five I remember much of the experience. I was a very serious flower girl who took special care with each carnation petal that I plucked from the bouquet. There are photos of my aunt and my grandpa pushing me down the aisle because I was placing the petals so slowly and carefully.

Several of the original wedding pary were able to attend. They had both the best man and the maid of honor there, one of the candlelighters, the flowergirl, and the woman who made all the dresses (six in all) in addition to making the wedding cake, the punch, having the reception at her house, and singing for the ceremony. That woman was my mother. Fifty years ago they put together a beautiful, sweet wedding that started the marriage off on the right foot on a shoestring. I would bet they did not spend over $100 on the entire affair.

Best of all. Both Nadine and Gordon got the chance to say out loud to all their family and close friends that they loved them and have loved having us all as part of their lives. What a special day yesterday was.

2 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

That's neat and I'm sure you were only 18 months old when you were the flower girl...I'd like to see those pictures! Sounds like they had a very happy occasion. Hope we'll both get there some day! LOVE YOU!

 
At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all know Myrr can do it all...bet you were a cute flower girl. Well we
are all on our way to 50!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home