Tuesday, August 01, 2006

More Trip

One last post about our trip, My colleague, Jack, suggested that we try to drive as far as Lexington, VA and stop for the night there. We did not make it quite that far but we did end up stopping there for a few minutes on our way up the west side of the Shenandoah Valley. Lexington is a very quaint town. Stonewall Jackson’s house, Robert E. Lee’s house, VMI, and Washington and Lee University. We only had time to look from the outside and did not tour any of the beautiful places.

Neither one of us was prepared for how beautiful Virginia was. That Shenandoah Valley is breath-taking. Pennsylvania was pretty and we loved Niagara-on-the-Lake. We want to travel around Virginia next summer on our way to the same meeting in DC.

Since we did not have Tammie with us to make us laugh (if you didn’t know, Tammie is the BEST traveling companion) we had to look for fun in other ways. It seems that most of our fun centered around food, but that is our greatest vice. FOOD.

We found the world’s best peach fried pies in Marion, AR. Big John’s Shake Shack…my advice to you is go straight for the peach fried pies and forget those shakes! We had lunch in a medium sized east Tennessee town at a great little family run Italian place. Bad food at a hotel restaurant in Virginia. Wonderful Italian (yes, we ate it several times, but it is on every corner in Rockville, MD) at Momma Lucia’s, Panera Bread sandwiches, original Buffalo Wings, a great little local place in Williamsport, PA, and some fabulous tiny desserts at a very fancy Italian steak house in DC (they are in tiny little serving glasses and only cost $1.95 each and are just the right amount after a large meal).

Gene’s favorite food find was the frozen custard in Buffalo. It was so smooth and creamy. Yummy! I have to say my favorite was the fried pies.

Two funny happenings: Gene’s entire bottom shoe sole fell off in one clump in a nice restaurant…other patrons had to stare. We were in Ontario driving with the top down and two different car loads of people stopped us to ask us driving directions…we were more lost than they were but I guess we looked so cool that they just needed to talk to us.

And now the topic for today’s discussion: Why do expensive hotels charge for internet while smaller, less luxurious motels give you free wireless internet? I don’t understand.

4 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

I'm with you...also, why to you get a free breakfast in the cheaper hotels and NOTHING in the expensive ones. Schlumberger always puts us up in really nice hotels when we go to meetings, but to tell the truth, I would rather stay at a cheaper place so that I can have the breakfast! What can I say, my kids just love the cereal at those little places!

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Rushton said...

Ditto, Jenn! I hate having to find a place for breakfast at those meetings! I'm sorry, I'm NOT paying $18 for you to bring my cereal and milk to my door (IN THE SKIMPY LITTLE KID BOX!!!) nor am I going to pay $8.50 BEFORE the tip for you to add a piece of toast to it in the hotel restaurant-and that is before the tip! Sorry, that and no Internet? Burns my cookies! Uh, did I just rant?

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

simply because they can. it's so ridiculous. and since people actually pay for it over and over, then i bet it never changes. i'll be 'home' the weekend of the 19th...hope to see you!

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I wasn't along,but I am so glad that you did have a wonderufl time. Another thing I like about cheaper hotels...the mirror is usually seperate from the shower so it doesn't get all steamed up when
Tim takes a shower and then I have to put on my make-up! I also love having breakfast free at the hotel! The last one we stayed in in Charelston was so wonderful that they delivered breakfast free to outr room every morning...talk about wonderful....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home