Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Bags and Names and Drama

Dear loyal readers…the last couple of days have been quieter. I know I haven't written in a day or two but I will try to catch up.

Michael's bag finally arrived a few minutes ago. He has been so sweet and patient on the outside but I know he has been frustrated on the inside. It was lost in Detroit, and lost in Amsterdam and lost in Rome. what a mess.

When I am working in an international semester I typically let the students choose what they want to call me (within the bounds of reason and good taste!). It is particularly hard when some of them either have me as a teacher/advisor on the Searcy campus or have known me for most of their lives. It seems that they have selected to call me The Weave or BWeave. They are funny and that makes me laugh.

Monday’s the Scavenger Hunt and visits to the Baptistry, Duomo (which is more beautiful inside than I remembered) and Opera de Duomo. The student went off at 8 am and Tracy, Leslie and I went to Robbie and Mona’s new apartment for brunch. It is out in the countryside and had the most spectacular views. Their apt. looks like it came right out of a magazine with the really cool layout of the kitchen and the cool loft and extra seating space that can double as a guest room. Later then we met the students downtown for the tours. Tracy had to drive and pick up the t-shirts for the Correi la Vita (their Race for the Cure). This year the designer is Ferragamo.

I had never been in the Opera del Duomo and it is very, very nice. My favorite was the choir lofts. Those people rejoicing is so engaging.

Monday night was lasagna night. YUM. I love how they fix it here at the villa.

Tuesday was Tuesday Market day with a picnic in the park. We had a group of students realize that we do go off and leave behind those who are not on time! They found their way but they didn’t get to sit with Mona and Tracy and me on the bus! I just love the Tuesday Market. They have such great things…the smell of that pork all those cheeses it just great. Then the picnic and some ball playing in the park…it was a good day.

Today is class day and I have already finished mine for the day. Tonight is supper at the Bible School. That will be great fun.

Only funny story that can be told in public is that at five minutes to midnight I was standing in my doorway making sure that the students were actually walking up the stairs to their rooms, when I noticed a particular student headed up wearing her pj’s. I asked if she had been downstairs in her pajamas and she looked a little stunned and said,” Yes….” We had to have a talk about NOT wearing your pajamas down stairs in public….oh my. BTW. That individual is NOT sick.

Our biggest excitement came yesterday when Tracy announced on the way home from the picnic that a couple from last fall’s group had gotten married on one of their free travels last fall. It seems that they got married in Switzerland but that it not legal in the US. They each lived in a dorm last Spring and are currently living in a dorm. AND this is the couple that made Jessica’s life very, very hard last fall. It seems that the families know they are “married” but it not legally in the US and that the families let them live together this summer but now they are in dorms because it is “cheaper” that way. I think that they may have some explaining to do in Searcy over the next couple of days. I just hope that Stu is involved in those discussions! He’ll set them straight!

HUF drama is so fun!
Love to all!

11 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I feel better now that I have had my Italy fix! I was already feeling withdrawal symptoms. Life is certainly never dull when supervising an International Program. I think that some of the students decide that common sence won't fit in their suitcase so they leave it at home for the semester. Once again, you have to wonder "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!" Hang in there and keep us posted.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

I'm with Dan...I look at my computer at least twice a day to see if there is an update from you. You didn't walk up all those steps in the Drumo (sp?) did you? Callie Lillard wrote a beautiful essay on her experience doing that but I'm still not sure I could make it up all those steps! I fear that I'd be like that student...if that's where I'm living, I'd probably not think anything about walking downstairs with my PJ's on...kind of like between Christmas and New Years when we are all together. Love you lots!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh dear. "weave" is what eddie koehler called me. not a good association.

and of what pajama variety were these that were parading so freely up and down the stairs? i need it for the mental picture of "the talk".

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhh....i need to stop reading this when im tired. It just makes me long to be at HuG. Ohh and reagan is right what kind of pajamas. The mental picture is often priceless! To completely change the subject...the weather here is absolutely gorgeous. Its sunny but a cool breeze is making it so pleasant. The campus is so ready for fall. Everything is almost done. I just wish they would hurry up and get the fountain done. I want to play in the water (or push someone in). Hang in there, i know your semester is brutal. Bye, BWEAVE

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry the last post was me.....Wil

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger BW said...

The pjs were of the flannel variety. They have little pink bunnies all over them. Under the pj top was some type of tank top sans foundation garments so the muffin tops were jiggling while the pj top was UNBUTTONED! How's that mental image. Do any of you need to have your retinas cleansed?

I am sorry that you have poor memories of weave. They almost never just say weave it is mostly The Weave or Bweave. I have embraced my bweave-ness cause it make me so fly.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

also, we need a code name for "you know who" other than "you know who".

i'll think on it while i'm avoiding working in class

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Rushton said...

GWeave just doesn't have the same ring, but he is here if you thought you might have misplaced him.
I know I'll have a peaceful weekend to read cause the boys will play outside all day!
cool word verification: dezsski

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad for Michael...I'm sure that was hard for him. The apt. sounds soo...great. Oh, do I have memories of the Duomo...never did make it to the top! Hope Jon wasn't one of the late ones but sure wouldn't be surprised!! It sounds like you are off to such a fun start...lasagna already!!The pj's episode is the best,the description even better. Can't wait for the next post!!Love to Robbie, Mona and Tracy ohh Jon, too!!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

You never knew that your blog was so popular did you? I'm with everyone else...we check your blog all the time to see what fun things that you are doing. I love the description of the PJ's...way too funny, but at the same time really hurt my tummy!! We are off to explore another town in Texas tonight...Abilene. Oh the fun of Texas High School football!!
Eat lots and lots for us, oh BWeave!

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Artist-Tim said...

I risked one eye on the perkey pj's. It was worth it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home