Monday, September 11, 2006

End of Week 1

So what did Robbie make me do on Thursday? Walk the streets of Florence for over six hours! The city is so interesting and beautiful that it is not such a chore. The hard part came when we had to climb the step way to Piazalle de Michelangelo. For the uninitiated…it is steeper than the climb to the villa. Oh my goodness. I did make every step of the looooonggg steeeepp climb. We had lunch there, and a cappuccino, and visited the San Miniato church which is even higher up the hill than the piazzale. Afterwards, we walked back in the central part of Florence for another hour. I have some tired, sore muscles.

Thursday night was the Welcome party and we had a great time. I think our group has some good leaders and some very sweet, kind souls. So far, no one has tried to be too exclusive and I am praying that it stays that way. Even the tall, good-looking athletes will talk to all the students.

Last night we got last minute tickets to the Fiorentina soccer game. Just like Jessica told me, I bought my purple and white scarf (worn as a do-rag) so that I could be decked out like all the Florentines. I think that one shop outside the stadium made a killing on the HUF students. Fiorentina lost because the officials robbed us…at least that was what all the Italians around me we screaming at them. The funniest part of the evening was the bus ride home. The people smashed in one small bus (on the 27 route) like it was a Japanese subway train. Our students were so crammed in that one described it as “unable to put a piece of paper between them). The drunk and smelly Italians at the back of the bus (where I had actually found a seat) were screaming at the driver all the way home.

Worship today was good as was the stop at the coffee/pastery bar. A large group (like 10 or so) of Christians from Holland came to services. There are also four American girls who are studying at the University of Florence there. It was so good to see Matt and Lauren Freels (Reagan, they said to tell you hey and to come over to visit!). We got lunch on the table and even said Reagan’s name over the pot of mashed potatoes. Some of the students have gone to play soccer and some are now sound asleep.

The weather is nice today. There are signs that it may not be hot forever, like a cool breeze or a little lower temperature. Scavenger Hunt tomorrow and the Tuesday Market the next day.

Hopefully the internet will be fixed tomorrow.
Ciao!

8 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

Sounds wonderful so far...except for the steps! I walking has lasted all of one day so far...maybe I'll get better as it gets closer for me to leave for Italy. I had a 3 hours counseling session yesterday afternoon with a newly wed couple ( a pre-marital follow-up) and then we had homegroup last night and I was wiped out by the time I got home and I could barely drag myself out of bed this morning...got an e-mail from Reagan...wish i could see her and give her a mama hug! I need to see Laura, too. I think I miss her more now that she's married and I know she doesn't need me so much.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

P.S. I just read Jack Shock's comment on your last post...He is so funny...do you think he'll let vivian and me dismiss his class at homecoming since you won't be there?

I also read Wil's post...He's sweet to be concerned about me!

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay you're posting! i hope that we can expect some regular updates...you know we're all living vicariously through you for the semester. i love pretty much all chocolate and hazelnut gelato, and i quite recommend the combination of the two. i'm also big on zabaglione, which is kind of egg nog-ish. san miniato is one of my very favorite churches...it's very nice. really, though...there's not a bad spot anywhere around. have fun!!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i consider the making of the mashed potatoes on sunday to be a job that i strove to deliver the very best of food service.

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sherrill was certainly correct when she said to keep the updates coming. We are "living vicariously" through you and want to hear more funny stories about your unidentified fello travellers. What would adventures be without them.

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to Dan and Sherrill, we can't wait to hear all the fun stuff!! ooohhh...pastries. Glad things are going well with the group and Robbie is true to form in not letting anyone have a minute to take care of jet lag or acclimating!!(is that how you spell that?)But I'm sure you're up to the task!Ciao

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger DCT said...

OK! It's Tuesday evening and I've looked forward all day to the next chapter and where is it? It's like a TV show that has you hooked and you rush through your activities, get a snack, set down in front of the TV just in time to hear that THE SHOW will not be on tonight, tune in next week. I NEED MY ITALY FIX!!! Just kidding. Those of us living vicariously tend to be impatient.

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear that that climb is really something. Maybe it helps you feel better if you eat gelato before you go home?!!!
Costumes are coming along. I'm practicing being patient with the 50th rethreading of a machine in 3 hours. I keep thinking I have taught these kids how to do that, but then they get this pitiful, frustrated look on their faces. I think - I'd rather thread than deal with frustration at this point. So we say "This is the way this is done --- yeah, over that, and under that, and into the needle --- great!!! See that's not so hard!"
Keep the stories coming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home