Friday, September 01, 2006

But What About a Coat??

I have temporarily moved my office to my dining room table. There is an adjunct (sweet, wonderful Sara) using my office this semester. The dining table looks like a wreck. I have one more project to put the finishing touches on (a web class) before I put all this stuff into piles for the semester.

And speaking of piles...there are several piles in other parts of the house that are all waiting to be placed into a suitcase. I haven't finished pulling out all the clothes I will need for the next four months but I have purchased most of the toiletries.

There is one major decision that still needs to be made and it regards a coat. I was thinking that I could get by with a wool ruauna and layers under it...layers like a lined windbreaker, and/or sweatshirt, and/or turtlenecks. My daughter (who actually lived in Florence through a winter) says that is not nearly enough. She believes I need a winter coat. I don't have a good coat. I could buy one on-line and get Tammie and Vivian to bring it to me...but then I would have to haul it around southern Italy where I KNOW I will not need it. Maybe Barbara Duke could bring it in October (can you tell that I am thinking out loud!). The family really can't bring it in December because I want to go to Germany and visit a Christmas market or two with Julie Ellis before the family arrives. What to do?!

I do have ready to leave the house the following all important items:
passport (it is ALWAYS ready to go!)
plane ticket
Eurail pass
International Driver's License (worst photo ever!)
Eurail map
best street map of Florence ever with shops and gelaterias marked on it
Reagan's marking of the her favorite places on that same map
a cute little pop-out map of Florence
iPod loaded with great mood music for walking around Florence
cell phone for overseas (I will send the phone number as soon as I figure it out!)
brand new laptop for the faculty at HUF to use

So I am actually ready to walk out the door. I can fling some kind of clothes into a suitcase and be ready in 10 minutes.

Can you tell that my brain is already there?

7 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO jealous. I hope you have a/another wonderful semester in Florence! Those vacuum things that suck the air out of bags (that already contain your clothes, of course) work wonders for coats and sweaters. Does my mom have anything you could take? You can always buy a coat there...or take the coat you have and buy one if you need it. OR, order one online and have someone pack it by using the vacuum thing and ship it to you! I've had too much coffee today. :-S

PS. Grotta Guelfa (under the arches in Piazza della Republica) is one of my lesser known favorites. The pollo alla mozzarella with roasted potatoes and asparagus with parmesan is all wonderful. Plus they have great desserts! Enjoy Gallo's for me...I've been craving 'real' pizza for ages now. Hopefully I can wail till June!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

I vote that you buy a leather coat in Italy if you need another coat...that's what I did last time I was there and I love my coat!

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

My brain is already in Italy too! It's good to know that we'll have tea!

 
At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon's got piles everwhere,too. I'm so glad atleast one of us is going with you... but I really wish it were me!!! Have a wonderful time and I'm sure you can always find a coat there if you need a heavy one. We've had the same discussion about coats...Jon may freeze. Oh, well it will all be great. Be safe, we'll miss you.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Rushton said...

I have a cousin in Germany. Why not let her find you a coat and ship/mail/save it till you are in Germany? She's always up for a trip and she's a hoot. Beth, The Sweet Potato Queen!
Have a wonderful, stupendous, great time!

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy the coat in italy....always a nice momento...i love my european clothes... right now as i type u are either on the way or sleeping off jet lag!!! I am sooo envious of you! Im already dreaming about greece. Be safe and keep ur blog updated. I know my aunt tammie and I are living vicariously through you! hehe Wil

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

OK, we are all looking for a post from Florence!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home