Friday, September 22, 2006


I have returned from our first trip as a group. Parts of it were perfect and parts of it were not so perfect. We had beautiful sunny weather. The sites are magnificent. The food was incredible. A couple of the twenty year olds acted like 12 year olds.

First was Lucca. It is so beautiful and charming. After our 1 2/2 hour walking tour, we did not have time to ride bicycles around the wall because there was a street market going on and Tracy and I had to shop. Several of the students did rent the bicycles and they loved it.

Next was Pisa. If possible, it is now more commercialized. There is now a big bus and car parking area with gas station, snack bar and bathrooms. They also have a tram to take you to the gates in front of the tower, cathedral, baptistery and cemetery. When I have been here before there were stalls and vendors from just outside the gates and lining the street opposite the tower and other sites. Now, the vendors go another quarter of a mile in front of the gates. People are clamoring to buy a plaster of paris leaning tower or a t-shirt of the tower and Snoopy (yes, the person who will not be named DID purchase such a shirt!).

The bus trip to La Spezia was much shorted this time around. We arrived at the station there only seconds before the train. The train trip only seemed like five minutes this time. Finally, we arrived in Vernazza and it has not changed one bit. They did paint the church steeple but other than that it is the same lovely spot.

The hike from the bottom town to the third town was not a hard as before. Maybe it was the difference in temperature (about 20 degrees cooler than the last time I walked that trail) but I still did not do that climb from the third town to Vernazza. I do so love the train system here!

The only blemish on the three day adventure was some boys trying to act cool but ending up acting like they were silly little boys. They stayed up till 1:30 or 2:00 am being loud and obnoxious. All the faculty members were in different hotels and we did not hear it. There was an apology from a couple of them and the very beautiful Francesca gave them a lecture on respecting other guests in the hotel. Robbie had already taken the train home before we found out about it. He will tell them tomorrow how disappointed he is and they will be penitent. I told them that I would love them again tomorrow but for today I was way too upset to even talk to them.

Tonight Robbie, Mona, Tracy and I took a former HUF student (from the late 80’s) and her husband out to dinner. It was wonderful. The specialty of the house is butter fried chicken breasts. My eyeballs almost rolled back into my head! Robbie also ordered some Tripe because he says this place has the best in Florence. I tasted it but will not order it on my own. Way too slimy for me. I did eat some calamari in Vernazza that I liked. Robbie’s friend made a special dinner for Robbie and Tracy and me of the seafood specialties. It was dipped in a light batter and fried…the skinny pieces taste better than the rings.

So, I hiked, I ate calamari, I ate tripe. Who knew I could do those things?

Tammie I did eat a gelato for you in Vernazza. You really did enjoy it!

Cute breakfast cappuccino.


My happy toes on the beach.

1 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

was it chocalatte gelato? The pictures are wonderful. I am going to use some in my screensaver if that is ok. So the cool weather is here in searcy and the campus is finished. Im going to hijack anthonies camera and take some digital pictures. I was wondering if u have a good internet connection ill send them to you. Also you need to call your Best Friend Dr. Shock. I Believe he barely made it through the Hannity encounters. However he did make it through thanks to the support of Dr. elrod (i believe, or rumor has it).I loved reading this post. TTYL Wil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home