Monday, October 02, 2006

Tears of Bliss and Tears of Laughter

This morning Robbie announced that we could not go to the Vasari Corridor today as planned and instead we would eat supper together at......Gallo's!!! I was so excited that I almost cried then and there. This is my all time, bar none, favorite pizza. It is the thinnest possible crust cooked in a wood heated brick oven, with only a smattering of tomato sauce and the most wonderful topping every. Robbie orders about a zillion pizzas (no, really only about 60!) and we ate until we couldn't eat anymore. Then comes the Nutella calzone. It was great.

While we were waiting on the calzone, several of us started playing the funniest game that Tracy taught us. You pick a vegetable name and then with your mouth open (can't close it or you lose) and your teeth totally covered (once, again if the teeth show you lose) a person starts by saying your vegetable name, (like Okra) is calling another of the vegetable names (like corn) while you use a silly voice. Then the person who is that vegetable has to do it to someone else. I know it sounds so silly, but people get the strangest looks on their faces and then you can't close your mouth...I guess that you have to be there to experience it...but I laugh so hard I cry everytime we do it.

Even though everyone in the group was not playing this game, I can report to concerned parents that everyone in the group was having a good time visiting, eating, and laughing. It was the best event we have had so far for group bonding. The staff at Gallo's had seated a table of Italian men back on the back terrace with all of us and I was afraid that we were distrubing them. When we left one of the men said in English that all the life had left the room and now all he had to entertain himself with was the TV. He was so sweet.

What a good day.

6 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

I love whoever came up with this blog idea! The only bad thing is I could stay on here for hours enjoying readying and making comments! I'll have to call Vivian to see how you can make a donation...I had an e-mail from her today - can you believe that? but i can't open it.

And Hooray for American College students having fun in Italy and brightening up the lives of the Italians!

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger DCT said...

You know that some "old foggies" see nothing of academic value in such group bonding activities. All I can say is deliver us from travelling with them. Glad you had such a great day. May there be many more!!!!!

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beckie, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your experiences at HUF. I passed your blog site on to my son, b/c he was at HUF in spring 94 and still cherishes the memories. Hope you continue to have a wonderful time and share what happens with us on this side of the Atlantic!

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Made my heart happy to get your e-mail and pics...thanks. Sounds like you guys had a great night. I can't wait to go to Gallo's. We went with Robbie and Mona to a similar place in Rome and it was soo good. I'm sure I could never keep my teeth covered in that game..I'd be laughing too big. We're doing Race for the Cure on Saturday, but our shirts don't look as cool. Nor will our day be as fun as yours and Mona's. I'm so glad you're having fun!

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Okay, it is official, you will have to make sure that we play this game at Easter this year! he he he....
Eat lots of pizza for all of us!

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Rushton said...

Do you hear me gasping? Nutella calzone? Be still my heart...and send me the recipe, quick!

I was in Searcy yesterday and today. Like others, I tried to see JRS. Didn't see him or others on my list. But, I did leave a cryptic message on Jack's office door window.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home