Friday, December 22, 2006

Sightseeing, Shopping and Early Christmas Dinner

Tim, Steph and Ellie have now left the continent and headed back home. We had a great three and half days. We saw Pisa, did the great circle of downtown Florence for shopping and sightseeing. Then we drove to San Giamignato and saw the sights there. The last day was back into Florence for last minute shopping before they had to go back to Pisa to catch a flight to London to head back to Texas.

We had planned to go out one night to a nice restaurant and let that be everyone's Christmas present to each other. I did not call ahead to Bibe's to make reservations and when we got there it was closed!! But that did not squelch our Christmas spirit and we headed out to Machievelli's Tavern. We had a fabulous meal of steak for some, grilled mixed meats for others, and fried chicked and hare for Reagan and her friend Corrie. It was a perfect meal and great way to celebrate Christmas. In the very best of Tuscan traditions, the entire meal took two hours and we were sitting in room all to ourselves. We could not have planned it any better. One of the best parts was the life sized stuffed Babo Natle (Italian Santa) sitting over by the window with his arm wrapped around a jug of Chianti! Priceless!

I have to mention that Ellie, who is only seven, is as great a traveler as Aiden, Caily & Ian are. She was happy to wander around the San Lorenzo market with us while we were shopping and was easily entertained at the restaurants and in the car. I think that GameBoys are great inventions for traveling children!

I do have to mention that Gene has hit the leather jackpot! He has found a beautiful jacket, new belt, wallet, and gloves! He also bought me two new pairs of gloves and beautiful red leather purse! I can't wait for you all to see Gene's gloves...I will not tell the color yet but they will surprise you and look great when he is riding his motorcycle!

Today, Reagan and Corrie have left for an overnight trip to Venice on the train. Gene and Murr and I are taking it easy and getting ready to make a trip to that really great Coop/shopping mall, and we are all waiting for Mona to arrive back from the states. The fog had been terrible in England and delayed lots of flights in that part of the continent. Mona is in Amsterdam and missed her connecting flight because of the weather but she has another scheduled for tonight.

I did have a couple of moments of sadness because I missed Just Desserts, but then I knew that most of my friends would tell me to snap out of it because I was in Italy! I do miss my friends and I am ready to sit and visit with all of you and I will be home in nine days...it is ending so quickly and yet so slowly!

6 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to be able to say I left one message on your blog while you were away. And to tell others that yes, I do read your blog, but I do most of my communicating through email. But this is very handy, isn't it!!! Love to all & we'll see you soon.
J & A & C

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

You mean The Scotts have already come and gone! Didn't Ellie know that Santa could find her even in Italy? They didn't get to stay very long but at least they did get to see some of the highlights. Thanks for the update...I was really ready for one!

 
At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds grand! We had to miss Just Desserts,too. But we weren't in a cool place like Italy. We had a wedding and some out of town company in town for graduation dropped by unexpectedly. Next Year!!!! Enjoy your next 9 days. Our Texas kids are here and we are eating clementines, maybe that counts a little?1

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Rushton said...

We just finished "tree" Christmas, hope your day is just as lovely!

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

We just finished our christmas lunch with the whole family here in Searcy and now the whole family is watching a movie. All the kids are piled up in Dad's lap and he is loving every minute of it, for sure!
Bible class on Sunday just isn't the same with all of ya'll gone....the back just is too quiet. I told Dad, I can't wait for you (and everyone else) to get home!!!
Merry Christmas, enjoy your last week!!!

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a blast! Did you get my email about Murr's hotel going home?

Tim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home