Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Great Shopping Extravaganza

Julie and Mark Ellis and a another couple from Munich were here from Friday to this afternoon. We had such a wonderful time. Mark and Julie are so much fun to be with and they are adventursome so we did some good stuff.



They arrived on Friday and I had made reservations at the Sostanza restaurant in Florence because Julie wanted to try their butter fried chicken. So, as usual, I crammed us all into the blue car and went down to the bus 16 stop. We stood and talked for a couple of minutes then I noticed that dreaded sign on the post that said there was a bus strike!! Well, we were just about to take a taxi, in fact, I had called Silvia at the HUF office to see if she would call us a taxi. She suggested that we drive into the train station and park underneath it. I have driven to the Coop and to Pisa but I have never driven into the station or even across the Arno, but Silvia said that she thought I could do it and Mark was willing to read the signs to make sure I stayed on the correct streets. And we did a great job! We did such a good job that I drove back to park at the station on Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday (today). Monday the three women went to San Giaminagno. Today I even drove to the airport from the train station and back to the station and back to the villa!! I think that I might be Wonder Woman! I think I may can conquer new frontiers. I might can even put the baseboards up in the dining room, kitchen, and living room!



While they were here both couples did the majority of their Christmas shopping. We went to the San Lorenzo market three times, and the Piggy Market twice. There were six purses, eight belts, two brief cases, one wallet, twelve handerchiefs, two shawls, four ceramic plates, four ceramic wall decorations, two packages of wild boar sausage, fours packages of Italian candy, two expresso makers, one milk diffuser, and numerous odds and ends. Julie had to use an extra suitcase in order to get it all back home!



So now lets discuss the restaurants we visited. Friday night was Sostanza and their wonderful butter friend chicken and that great meriangue dessert they make. Saturday lunch was a sandwich eaten while we were walking because we wanted to get from the Uffizi to Scandicci in time to drive into the countryside and get some photos (but the sun went behind a cloud just as we left Scandicci) and we went to Gallo's for supper... no need to comment, it was Gallo's and perfect. Sunday we had our own service at the villa and then took Mark to catch a taxi to the airport. We found a cute little restruant just off of Nazionale and had pasta (mine was ravoli with cream pesto and walnuts....uuummm, good) and after seeing The David, part of San Marcos and Santa Annuziata we went to the Coop to buy antipasta and goodies to eat at the villa. Monday after we got back from San Giaminagno, we captured Robbie and went to eat steak at Bibe's. Oh my goodness!!! It may be the best flavored steak I have ever in my life tasted. I am definately taking Tim, Steph and Ellie there for our big Christmas present to ourselves. Today's lunch was panino in a cute cafe just down from the Ponte Vecchio.



They are now on their way home and I am getting ready for my family to arrive on Thursday!!





powered by performancing firefox

6 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i heart Bibe. especially in the summer when they make their dessert called pavlova.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Rushton said...

I can hear your clocks ticking from here! I'm so excited you all will be in such a special place TOGETHER! Can't beat that with a stick!

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

Can't beat pavlova, either. they make that in Ireland...soooooo good! but not quite as good as gelato! I'm really looking forward to seeing Reagan and Gene a little later today and taking them to the airport. I am praying that Gene is going to love every minute of it and want to go on every trip you go on from now on (even though I did have high hopes of being your mate if Gene continued to stay home-he does need to be with you making lots of wonderful memories!) Sounds like those ladies went wilder spending than we did. I meant to give you the Euros I had left but you left in such a hurry I forgot. Maybe I'll remember to give them to Reagan today.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

They will be with you soon! They're probably eating pancakes in Amsterdam right now or have just finished. I remeinded Gene that we are in the stage of our lives that hailing a taxi is great fun and that we did it more on this trip than ever before. He just kind of grinned and agreed. Hope Reagan was able to get upgraded so she could sit with Gene.

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ive heard officially from your mother that Mr. Gene LOVEs Italy! Im so glad for him. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas. Cant wait to see all safe and sound here. Wil Skelton

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

OK, Gene and Reagan have been there for 4 whole days at least..it's time for an update!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home