Thursday, June 15, 2006

Being Southern

I LOVE that I come from Southern roots. I consider Texas my homestate, but I am Southern through and through. I love my Southern friends. I love our traditions. I love that my daughter likes her Southern roots. Like the comments on the last blog said...we have manners down here and they matter. We love our families, even the crazy ones. We care about each other. I love that the real Soutern lady will see a friend she hasn't seen in weeks and say, "Cute shoes, how's your mama?" I just love it all. I love that when we invite friends over for a meal we "fix" ( and not just "cook") four or five more dishes than we need. I

Please share your favorite Southern things with me!

10 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger Lyn said...

we talk to people- no matter who they are. and we say coke... which is the correct way to refer to carbonated drinks.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

I just LOVE being from the south, too! I really am loving being in your home state of Texas right now...I just hope that they let us stay!!

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

duh....fried pies...

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my clients here in Philly - a precious little 7 year old boy thinks I talk like a cowgirl...is that part of being Southern?

I also agree with lyn and reagan but I want to add blackeyed peas and cornbread.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Rushton said...

'mater sandwiches with miracle whip, fried catfish, moonpies (in the microwave), and Krispy Kremes in no particular order

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Brett, April, Caden, Corban & Eden said...

the Bible belt....it seems we always know someone that knows someone else at some church you know of. ;) -april

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Brett, April, Caden, Corban & Eden said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Brett, April, Caden, Corban & Eden said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it took me a while to put my finger on what i love the most. i think it's great that if you're out in public you can have a conversation with the person next to you in line, at another table, etc and they know you're not crazy. it's ok to talk to stangers in the south (well some of them).
that's not quiet so true up here. if a random someone starts to talk to me i immediately look for the nearest exit. Random friendly conversations with strangers are not so common up here.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Kelsey said...

The things I love about the south... hmm... politeness. Period. It is severely lacking anywhere else. Fried pickles from AQ. An actual good, non-flat Dr. Pepper. Uh, g.r.i.t.s. are always the best! ;)

Now... what about things we don't like? Humidity?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home